Friday, February 24, 2012

Craigslist Desk Transformation

Apparently my Craigslist desk had undergone a few cosmetic changes before it came into my hands. Just take a look at the inside edges...


Knowing what I was planning on doing with it...and how much sanding it would take to get rid of the multiple shades of blue...I kept thinking...WHY didn't you stop with the white? WHY didn't you stop with the white?

Oh well. So I had a bit of sanding to do. It wouldn't kill me...right? It turns out my sanding was a much easier job than I had anticipated. I was having trouble with my old sander, so I knew it was time to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. I wanted a cheap one, but the one I decided on at Home Depot was out of stock. WHAT? Do you not understand that when I finally come to a decision of what I am going to do, that I am READY at that very minute? That minute! To my surprise, Home Depot offered to upgrade me to the next model since they didn't have their product in stock. A better model at the lower price? I was sold!

With my new "Ryobi RS290 Orbital Sander" in hand I headed home to get started. And let me tell you...that little sucker has power! It whipped off the ugly coats of blue with no problem! It was amazing.

The plan in my mind did not include blue. Not one ounce of this desk was going to remain blue. That is now how things turned out. See this?


I couldn't bring myself to sand it off. I love a piece with history. Something that had its own life before it came into mine. I could just imagine Cammie Jeff sitting around in July 2001 painting her furniture to give it an updated look. Something she deemed to be a little bit cooler.

My first thought was 2001? That wasn't very long ago. And then it hit me. She painted this in the summer of 2001...July 2001...before 9/11...before the world changed. Before everything as we knew it here in the US changed. I could imagine her sitting at this desk and pondering life...where was our country headed...would we ever be the same again...would she ever feel safe again? And I knew...Cammie Jeff would remain on the inside of our little desk.

Now I know you haven't been able to see into the inside of the desk...cause it looks like a dark cave in the photo. It actually did look like a dark cave, and not just in the photo. The inside portion of the desk was painted black.


Now don't get me wrong, I love black furniture...but it wasn't black. Electric blue with white drawers and a black inside...well, it just wasn't cute. Besides, there are all kinds of little drawer cubbies inside there...and they are ADORABLE. Trust me. Take a really good look at that black cave. Adorable little cubbies that can't be seen. What good is that?

I took a can of Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2x Primer and gave it a good spray. INSTANTLY I was in love! It was beeeautiful. Probably more so since it looked like I would be able to paint right over the black and not be forced to try and sand in those adorable little cubbies! I gave a coat of primer to the entire piece and let it dry. I could see it. I could see the vision from my head taking shape right before my eyes. I followed it up with two coats of Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2x Heirloom White Satin...my favorite. Just look how pretty it was...


Just a peak for you. At this point the drawers weren't done...but I couldn't resist the photo. See how cute those drawers are??

And just a teaser of what is coming next...


Aren't these the cutest knobs you have ever seen? Michaels craft store...you have swept me off my feet once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi