Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wooden Sleigh Ornaments

Last week I found this little beauty at a Thrift Store:


Yep, the tag does say 25 cents! Yes, I am aware that it is ugly. No, I wouldn't hang it on my tree...but don't you remember my best friend? Have you really forgotten my love for all things in Heirloom White?

I brought this little beauty home and gave it a quick coat of RustOleum Double Coverage Primer. Once dried I gave it a coat of RustOleum Heirloom White Satin. Next I gave it a little touch of royalty with a crown stamp. A took a fine tip Sharpie and wrote the year and where we would be spending this Christmas season. I finished it off with a piece of twine.

Look how cute it turned out:


25 cents for the sled and the rest of the supplies I already had. You can't beat that!

I loved the sled so much, that I couldn't resist when I found these a few days later at Michaels:


The list price was $1.99, but I bought them for 50% off!

I removed the twine and took them outside for paint, just like I had done to the original sled. I used a foam stamp to mark a C on the center slat.


My original thought was to use small stamps to make my details, but my ink pad was just not cooperating. So I added details with a fine tipped Sharpie instead.


I had to make these quickly for my Art Show last weekend. If I had the time, I would have sanded them and possibly added a bit of stain to make them look aged. However, they were a huge hit and I completely sold out! I am hoping to get my hands on some more, so I could have the kids make some...it was a really easy project. $1 is a great price too...only beaten by the random 25 cent find.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi