Friday, October 28, 2011

Day #5 of Bird-Day Week: Red Angry Bird Pinata

Today I made a p-yata. That's what my little guy calls them. You say pinata, I say p-yata. And yes, in case you are wondering, I am actually singing the song about potatoes in my head at the moment.

I live in a great place with lots of access to pinatas. We are so close to Mexico, that you can order just about anything made into a pinata. I have seen giant life sized pinatas at parties. Huge! But what fun would it be to ask someone to make it for me? I was just sure I could do my own.

I decided to take a bit of a shortcut when I found this at Target:


Doesn't it just scream Angry Bird? No? Really?


I knew the shape wasn't perfect, but I figured it was something I could work with. I figured it would save me the pain of starting from scratch, although, I think I need to try from scratch next time...I think it would turn out better.

I started by using the red crepe paper that was pictured in the first photo. The problem was that I learned it was going to take me FOREVER to cover the whole stinking thing that way! It looked good, but I just didn't have that kind of time or patience.

When my Mom came to visit she asked why I didn't just spray paint it. "You spray paint EVERYTHING" she said. She honestly couldn't believe that the thought had not occurred to spray paint it. What can I say?


Here is where you can see what I mean about it being better if I made it myself. I would definitely make the body smoother to begin with...but I was in a hurry. I didn't have time to worry about smoothness at this point...I just needed to get this p-yata made.

I sprayed the whole body with a coat of Rust-Oleum Dual Coverage Colonial Red Gloss. It is a little more deep red than I would probably have chosen if I had an endless source of colors to choose from, but let's face it, spray paint is not that kind to me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE spray paint. They just don't have enough colors for me. I am a color snob, and I would love more choices. Do you hear me Rust-Oleum?


For the face, I used my Martha Stewart acrylic paints again. The colors I used were Yellow Jacket, Beetle Black, and some generic white. I can't tell you how great I think these paints are!

Just look how adorable this turned out...


I'm definitely not ready to go into the pinata making business, but I think he is pretty cute for my first try.



I am linking up here:


2 comments:

  1. That is too fun! My boys think Angry Birds is hilarious! Stopping by from TT&J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great too!
    Thanks again for sharing with us at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi